The Social Concerns and Missions Committee has four Core programs that coordinate with both the UCC and Church World Services calendars:
· One Great Hour of Sharing – One Great Hour of Sharing, which is the special mission offering of the United Church of Christ that carries God’s message of love and hope to people in crisis.
· Neighbor’s In Need – a special mission offering of the UCC that supports ministries of justice and compassion throughout the United States.
· Mother’s Day Cards -which provide funding for Church World Service to supply blankets for families in need all around the world.
· Father’s Day Cards – which provide funding for Church World Service to supply tools in the U.S. and overseas to those who have suffered disasters and need to rebuild their homes and barns, shacks and huts.
We also work with other church committees and local faith organizations on three annual programs:
· Here at the First Congregational Church we support the New Milford Community Food Bank all year long, and once a year participate in a special collection, the “Souper Bowl of Caring”.
· In September each year we participate in the Walk a Mile for a Meal event that is sponsored by Big Y and NM Social Services. We have actually hosted this event the last two years.
· Dustin Easely Foundation – Each November our church partners with the Foundation and New Milford Social Services to provide turkeys and kitchen help for this initiative, which provides delivered meals on Thanksgiving morning, and a community meal on Thanksgiving afternoon.
In addition, we have special projects each year, such as Church World Services Emergency Clean-up Buckets, and Personal Hygiene Kits – which provides essential items to clean a family’s clothing and household after a disaster.